Supported Independent Living
Our Supported Independent Living program in Melbourne, Victoria, is designed to offer personalised support and resources tailored to meet each individual’s unique needs and aspirations.
Sunrise2Sunrise is committed to connecting individuals and their families with reputable service providers, government-funded programs, and community resources.
Finding the right support is essential for unlocking the full potential of every person. Empowerment, inclusion, and independence are at the heart of Sunrise2Sunrise’s mission.
What is Supported Independent Living?
Supported Independent Living (SIL) is a service and support model provided under the National Disability Insurance Scheme designed to assist individuals with disabilities in living independently and autonomously in their homes or community settings.
SIL aims to provide personalised support tailored to each individual’s unique needs and goals, empowering them to lead fulfilling lives while receiving the necessary assistance.
Under the NDIS, individuals with disabilities can access SIL services, which offer support and services to help them manage their daily activities, develop essential life skills, and actively participate in their communities.
The level and nature of support are determined through person-centred planning and assessments, ensuring the services align with the individual’s needs and preferences.
What Does SIL Funding Include?
Supported Independent Living (SIL) is a paid support service that helps you with personal tasks like getting dressed, cooking meals, or other things you need help with.
SIL can also teach you skills to become more independent. SIL happens in your own home. You can get SIL if you live in a shared home with others.
If you live alone, other support services may suit you better. SIL funding doesn’t cover expenses like rent or groceries.
It’s meant to pay for the support workers who assist you with daily tasks. SIL is most suitable for people who need a lot of help throughout the day. If SIL is the right support for you, you will receive funding for it in your NDIS plan.
The funding depends on how much support you need to live independently in your preferred housing type.
Who is Eligible To Receive SIL Support?
Eligibility for receiving Supported Independent Living (SIL) support is based on several factors, including:
- High support needs: SIL support is typically available to individuals with significant support requirements throughout the day.
- Permanent disabilities: Eligibility is based on having a long-term and permanent disability.
- NDIS participation: To access SIL support, individuals must be participants in the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
- Individual circumstances: Eligibility considers your specific circumstances, such as your age, goals, preferences, and level of independence.
- Capacity building: If you require support to develop your living skills and enhance your capacity for independent living, you may be eligible for SIL.
- Home modifications and assistive technology: If modifications to your home or assistive devices are necessary for you to live independently, SIL may be available.
- Safety considerations: The information provided by you, healthcare professionals, and service providers regarding your safety, along with any reports and assessments, are considered for determining eligibility.
These factors are assessed during the NDIS planning process to determine whether SIL support is suitable and should be included in your NDIS plan.
SIL Services Provided by Sunrise2Sunrise
Our Supported Independent Living services include:
- Personal care and hygiene
- Household management
- Meal planning and preparation
- Financial management
- Social and recreational activities
- Access to community resources
- Mobility support
- Domestic support
- Therapy support
- Medication assistance
The goal is to promote independence, enhance self-determination, and foster social inclusion for individuals with disabilities.
What is the difference between SIL and SDA?
The main difference between Supported Independent Living (SIL) and Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) is that SIL focuses on providing support services to help individuals with high support needs live independently in shared living arrangements.
On the other hand, SDA specifically refers to the physical accommodation itself, which is designed to cater to the needs of people with significant disabilities, including accessible features and modifications.
What are the SIL levels of support?
The SIL levels are:
- Lower support needs: Individuals who require occasional support or assistance with specific tasks or activities.
- Standard support needs: Individuals who require regular support and assistance with daily living tasks, such as personal care, meal preparation, and household chores.
- High support needs: Individuals who require significant support and assistance throughout the day, including complex personal care, mobility support, and supervision.
Is Sunrise2Sunrise an NDIS SIL provider?
Yes, Sunrise2Sunrise is an NDIS SIL provider located in Melbourne, Victoria.
Who can provide help with Supported Independent Living?
Sunrise2Sunrise can assist you with everything related to Supported Independent Living.